HIPAA and Confidentiality with Youth (2 CEHs, 2 NBCC Hours)
April 6 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
Location: 610 Valley Health Plaza Paramus, NJ 07652 directions...
Cost : $40
2 Clinical Continuing Education Hours for Social Workers, 2 NBCC Hours for Counselors
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 Public Law 104-191 was designed to protect patients’ information and ultimately changed the way clinicians and clinical office staff manage their practice and client relationships.
In this workshop, we will examine the most up-to-date responsibilities that clinicians have to their clients, colleagues and the profession while we address some of the more frequently asked questions on managing your daily practice. For those who work with adolescents, we will review important ethical and legal considerations with confidentiality, privacy and information sharing as it relates to this population. You’ll leave with applicable advice and processes as well as a better understanding of when it is appropriate, under the Privacy Rule for a health care provider, to share protected health information of a patient who is being treated for a mental health condition.
April 6th, 2017 – 10:00am to 12:00pm
Paying by purchase order?
Please contact Lindsay Rivera at 201-843-5218, ext 5226 or LindsayB@careplusnj.org.
This course is intended for…
- All mental health providers who work in clinical practices and are in need of an understanding in HIPAA laws, patient confidentiality, minor consent and information sharing guidelines
- Professionals who want to learn HIPAA standards and practical tips with the impact of technology sharing and social media
What you will learn…
- An understanding of HIPAA’s basic facts and requirements, and why compliance is so important, even if you are a solo psychotherapy private practice clinician
- A simple, step-by-step process towards HIPAA compliance
- An understanding of the impact of HIPAA in your workplace and ways to protect patient health information
- How to apply HIPAA requirements to your daily responsibilities
- Actual resources for procedures, checklists, ready to use forms, outlines, that can be personalized to apply them in your practice as needed
- Consequences of non-compliance including risk and potential penalties for non-complaint therapists
- Ethical considerations and HIPAA
This course, Professional Responsibilities and HIPAA with a focus on Adolescents and Confidentiality, Approval #162706-1254-2, provided by Care Plus NJ, Inc., is approved for continuing education by the New Jersey Social Work Continuing Education Approval Collaborative, which is administered by NASW-NJ. CE Approval Collaborative Approval Period: September 15, 2016 through August 31, 2018.
CarePlus NJ has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6864. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. CarePlus NJ is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
Social workers will receive two (2) ethics continuing education hours for participating in this course.
Counselors will receive two (2) NBCC hours for participating in this course.
About the trainer…
Vashonna Etienne, LCSW has a private practice and is also a continuing education instructor for Rutgers and Montclair State University. Much of her training centers on HIPAA, Ethics and legal dilemmas faced by clinical staff. She has 10 years of clinical experience. Her trainings for Rutgers focus on various pertinent clinical and ethical topics for social work professionals and licensed individuals. Vashonna is also employed at the Montclair State University in the Child Advocacy Department. She instructs workshops for Child Protection case managers and supervisors on best practice models for child welfare systems.
CEHs and registration information:
Please contact Lindsay Rivera at 201-843-5218, ext 5226 or LindsayB@careplusnj.org
for information about continuing education credits for social workers.
Disability accommodations: Building and event space are accessible via wheelchair. Special accommodations can be made upon request.